Family reunion poems

family reunion poems

poems about addiction



blow

give to me the tools of my trade
a straw, a plate, and a razorblade
so perfect and careful i must be
a line for you and a line for me
in through my nose, what a wonderful feeling
words can't describe this absolute healing
bliss is sold in bags by the gram
to people like me who don't give a damn
powdery white like new fallen snow
when i dream of heaven, i dream of blow

***
poems about addiction #2

There Is a Joy That Banishes All Reason

There is a joy that banishes all reason,
An ecstasy so vast it has no shore,
A craving that devours all decision,
A lust for nothingness that lusts for more.
There are angels in pursuit of pain
Who take Satanic pride in degradation,
Who'll drag you down the hill and back again
Hosanna-ing your sweet humiliation.
Just like a fire fanned by a hot, dry wind,
Or like a flood that sweeps away all will,
This wall of pleasure leaves no one behind,
No sign of life where all one loves lies still.
So does the soul in anguish hate the joy
That soothes the hate that does the soul destroy.


***

poems about addiction #3

Alcoholism: Love At First Sight

I’m sorry Mom.
I did not listen.
I did not heed your warning.
I saw this coming.
I saw the pain.
I was in too deep before I ever began.
The pain we all felt,
The perfection we all portrayed,
Too weak too challenge the addiction of our loved one.
I could not keep pretending.
Nothing could stop the feelings that overwhelmed me.
I fell for the trap.
Addicted by my first sip,
Never to look back at the pain.
I was to be numb forever,
Living a dream,
At least that was my plan.

I’m sorry Mom.
I took the wrong path.
I took your concerns lightly.
The addiction lured me in,
At my most vulnerable point.
I became the person I knew I one day would.
I continued the cycle into another generation.
I became just another statistic.